Charles Johnson BSc., PhD., Cpsychol., AFBPsS is a registered and chartered occupational psychologist who has spent most of his career developing measurement, assessment and evaluation strategies and solutions for industry. He has written and lectured widely in this field and is a member of the Steering Committee on Test Standards for the British Psychological Society having been Chair of both that and the Psychological Testing Centre from 2000 to 2005.
Charles is currently a director of three companies, Johnson Doughty Ltd, Competence Assurance Solutions Ltd and Cambridge Occupational Analysts Ltd, and sits on the advisory boards of several others. He was previously Managing Director of Psychometric Research and Development Ltd, a consultancy specialising in test design, assessment strategies, emergency planning and crisis management. Prior to that he was Head of Test Development and a principal psychologist in the Recruitment Research Unit of the Cabinet Office, and had also lectured in psychology and statistics at University College London.
During his career, Charles has worked with a wide range of clients on a wide range of organisational and human factors issues. These include:
- the design and development of psychometric tests (for organisations such as The Foreign Office, The Prudential and KPMG and for commercial test publishers such as ASE and OPP)
- the development and evaluation of assessment centres and recruitment systems (for organisations such as British Telecom, London Transport, the Bar Council and First Direct)
- the development of HR systems for staff appraisal, staff development, succession planning, etc. (for organisations such as European Vinyls Corporation, BUPA and Mars)
- the development of competence management systems for organisations such as Serco, National Air Traffic Services, Eurocontrol, Transport for London and the Institute of Asset Management and competence frameworks for drivers for organisations such as the Driving Standards Authority and the Road Safety Authority
- the design and implementation of organisational culture assessment tools and culture change programmes for organisations such as Carillion, Southeastern Trains, Mowlem and CPNI
- design of selection procedures for train drivers for the Rail Safety and Standards Board and ATOC
- a review and redesign of the recruitment and promotion of signallers for Network Rail and the development of attention and awareness training overseeing the review of Thames Trains’ driver
- training programme following the Ladbroke Grove accident in 2001
- the design and delivery of a risk assessment tool to help QCA accredited examining and awarding bodies reduce the risk of invalid certification
- the design of selection processes and test procedures for LUL control room staff
- the development of crisis management training systems and disaster simulators (for organisations such as the MOD, Union Carbide and EVC)
- human factors and ergonomics research, including equipment and job design (for organisations such as LUL, British Telecom, Booker plc and the MOD)
- market research (for organisations such as Glaxo and Canon)